Friday, March 20, 2009

Twitter Timeout

After much apprehension I finally signed up for Twitter today. I had been putting it off for as long as I could because I already felt "too connected". Why do I need more updates on what people are doing when I have Facebook, Linkedin, and blogs? But, after reading Mary Harvey's (WPS COO) latest post promising a big announcement on Monday regarding Twitter and the league, I figured I should give tweeting a try.

For those of you who don't really understand Twitter, think of it as text messages via the internet. Instead of sending an update of what you're doing to one person, you can send it out to a group of people who have signed up to "follow" you.

Well, I of course added WPS and all of its teams immediately. To my surprise, WPS posed the following question last night:

"WPS is considering having some players tweet during games this season from the sidelines...under discussion at the league level. Thoughts?"

I was floored when I saw it. I actually had to read it a few times to make sure I had read it correctly. I couldn't understand how this was even being considered.


Imagine tuning into a Lakers game and watching Kobe Bryant twittering away on his phone during a timeout. Imagine Lance Armstrong pulling off on the side of the road to update his fans on his Tour de France ride. It's absurd to think of that happening with those professional athletes, so why would it be okay for our players?

Women's Professional Soccer, whether they realize it or not, is in the struggle of its life to prove to the country that they are in fact a viable professional league. Though they will never be the NFL or NBA, they need to maintain the same level of play and professionalism.

Twitter, if required of players during games, could change the whole dynamic of the game.

As a fan, I'd absolutely love to hear from WPS players on Twitter, but I really don't think gametime is the right time. The WPS is the highest level of women's professional soccer in North America. In order to be the best league of women's soccer in the world, you focus on soccer first, promotion second. Once you develop talent and exciting soccer, the rest will come.

I guess my question is, what is WPS's objective for having players tweet during games? As a fan, if I can't be at the game or watch on TV, I only care about the score. Though it'd be interesting to hear what Aly Wagner or Christie Shaner is feeling while on the sideline, I care more that she's focused on the game and prepared to play.

Think about this...You're the coach. There's 10 minutes left in a game. The score is tied 0-0. Your forward has no legs left. You've got a strong player who could come off the bench and possibly put one in the back of the net. You look back to her and she's on her phone crafting the perfect tweet. Has she even been paying attention? Did she even see the last play? Did she notice that new players are on the field for her opponent?

If the league wants to send out Twitter updates during the game, have a social media/marketing intern do it. If players want to twitter on the bus ride to/from the game, after practice, or on their free time I am all for it. But please, don't ask the players to compromise the integrity of the game for league promotion.

WPS is definitley setting a precedent when it comes to social media marketing in professional sports (which I love), but having players tweet during games is too much. Stop while you're ahead.

Want to check me out on Twitter? Visit www.twitter.com/flynnie19

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, Flynnie ... I think it's an unnecessary distraction for players (or at least those likely to make it into a game)

    On the other hand, I've been lobbying FCGP to use Twitter a lot during games using a correspondent ... thoughts from the bench, stats from the pressbox, other stuff .... i think official hashtag summaries could create a real community among fans at the game.

    ReplyDelete