Thursday, March 12, 2009

Playing Favorites


When it comes to picking a favorite team in WPS, well ... it's kind of complicated.

How does one go about picking a favorite team, anyway? Is it based on geography? Is it based on which team your favorite player plays on? Is it the name of the team that matters? Or should it be based on the colors of a player's uniform?

For me, it gets a little tricky.

Right now, I live outside of Philadelphia (and am originally from here) so geographically speaking Sky Blue FC would be my team. BUT, when the league was announced I was living in San Francisco. AND, while living out there I met US WNT and FC Gold Pride player, Leslie Osborne. She happened to be one of the sweetest people I had ever met, and I was really looking forward to seeing her in action. Sooo...do I cheer for FC Gold Pride?

I suppose I chould choose my favorite team by its coach. If that's the case, Tony DiCicco has always been a favorite of mine and he's coaching Boston. And I did go to grad school in Boston. More importantly, Kristine Lily is on the team. Hmmm...

Decisions. Decisions.

Well, then there is the Washington Freedom. They were a favorite of mine in the old league, so do I stick with them again this go 'round? It's a toss up. They do have Whitehill and Wambach!

OR, I could go the 'favorite player' route...

Honestly, I'm not sure I have one right now. But for some reason, if you couldn't tell from my post yesterday, I'm diggin' Hope Solo these days. She is on fire! Solo and Chalupny could take Athletica far in its' first season. But then if I look to international players there is of course, Marta. She is absolutely phenomenal to watch. I also am a HUGE fan of Aly Wagner. Though we haven't seen her much because of injuries, she is a real solid player and a force to be reckoned with in the midfield. The LA Sol might be a good choice!

But wait, there's one more team to consider --The Chicago Red Stars. I've never been to Chicago, but I like the team's logo. Also I have lived in New Jersey and nothing says New Jersey quite like Chicago star player, Carli Lloyd. She is a Jerzey girl for sure.

I guess I have some thinking to do, huh?
Regardless, I know I'll see good soccer no matter what two teams are playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment