Friday, March 13, 2009

She's Over It?

Last night, the San Jose Mercury News broke the story that FC Gold Pride cut Watsonville waitress Priscilla Meza.

Meza's response, "It's all right, I'm already over it."

Really??!!

I've got to be honest, though I've read other positive comments from Meza regarding her experiences with the WPS preseason, the "I'm already over it," comment really rubbed me the wrong way.

"You're over it"? Well that was quick.

I think the comment begs to ask the question of whether or not she really wanted it that bad in the first place.

Coach Albertin Montoya, who was saddened to let her go, is actually going to bat for Meza by speaking with other teams in the league about their potential needs for a midfielder. The question is, would Meza go to bat for herself? Does she really want to fight for this dream of hers? Or is she just "over it"?

In reading about Meza's story, I of course can't help but feel for her. She came from a tough upbringing (that's an understatement!) and has made something of herself. She is a role model and shows everyone that you alone control your future. However I wonder, is Meza really passionate about playing professional soccer or is she just looking for something more than life as she knows it now?

"I need to get something out of this," she said to SJ Mercury News. "If things don't work out, I am going to look for other doors."

I am not trying to downplay any of her accomplishments. I'm sure many will think I am. I just have never gotten the feeling, since the first word of Meza hit the media, that soccer was her passion. To play at the professsional level, I think it has to be. It's not something you just walk into lighlty and do on your free time. You do it because you can't imagine doing anything else. You do it because for you...soccer is life.

Don't get me wrong, I wish the best for Meza and hope that I have misunderstood her comments. If I have, I apologize. No matter what, I hope she continues to fight for her dream...whatever it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment