Thursday, May 7, 2009

Wambach & McNeill Suspended

Today WPS announced the 1-game suspensions of the Washington Freedom's Abby Wambach for a tackle that "was reckless and resulted in a potentially season-ending injury of an opposing player" as well as Saint Louis Athletica's Kia McNeill for "persistent egregious conduct toward an opposing player."

I've said before that I AM NOT a Wambach fan. I repeat...NOT a fan. I never have been and probably never will be. However, I do not, under any circumstance, think that Wambach deserved a suspension. Don't get me wrong, I agree that the tackle was reckless, careless, and straight up sloppy. In my eyes it was yellow card worthy (which she got) and had Daniela not have been injured on the play, it would've never been talked about again. And then you say, "but Daniela did get hurt, that's the point" Yes, unfortunately that was the 'result' of the play, but people shouldn't use the result to make the cause out to be more than what it really was.

Here's my other issue -- After reviewing the game footage, coaches notes, and other supporting documents, the WPS Disciplinary Committee ruled that no suspensions were warranted. Commissioner Antonucci disagreed, and overturned the Committee's decision! Don't get me wrong, Tonya Antonucci is a great leader who I really admire and her decision was made with the best of intentions. But, it begs the question, "Why even have a Disciplinary Committee?" I mean, if Commissioner Antonucci is going to make the final decision anyway, why not save time and have her just tell the Committee how she wants them to vote.

The two positive things that came out of this: McNeill got a taste of karma and Antonucci approached US Soccer regarding referee assignments! Hmm...I know one ref who won't be back!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Wambach did not deserve a suspension...the commish should have left it alone. I hate to say it but we wouldn't even be discussing this if it had happened in a men's match

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree that the decision should have been based on the tackle and not the result.

    according to steve goff's comment though (5th one http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/05/washington_freedom_forward_abb.html#comments) the committee wasn't unanimous in the decision so the commish had to decide.

    what do you think about hope's comments after the game? a lot of people think she was dissing abby. i don't know if i'm being an optimist or whatever, but i didn't think that was the case. hope is hope, she calls it as she sees it, that's it. before signing autographs after the game, i saw her go over to where abby was and gave her a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KG-Completely agree with you abt Hope. She was just being honest abt the play and never attacked Abby. I find Hope refreshing because she is so honest. So many times in womens sports everyone feels the need to be polite and proper. She's passionate abt the game and never afraid to hide her feelings -- good or bad.

    ReplyDelete