Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Daniela Out Indefinitely

Earlier today, St. Louis Athletica released the following statement regarding star player Daniela's condition:

"Daniela will be out indefinitely," said team physician, Dr. Brophy. "She does have a significant knee injury. She faces a lengthy recovery and extensive treatment before she returns to play."

According to the report, Daniela's MRI confirms she injured two knee ligaments and also sustained a crack in her tibia. I may not have gone to medical school, but I've gone through my fair share of injuries (including a cracked tibia) and I'm tellin' you, she is out for the entire season. If she goes back too soon, she risks causing significant long-term damage to the leg.

Obviously this is a huge blow to St. Louis, who was already struggling offensively, but what's also interesting is the recent chatter on message boards and blogs --

People actually believe that the knee injury, caused by a dangerous tackle on Saturday from Washington's Abby Wambach, was actually an act of retaliation by Wambach for the rough play she fell victim to in the first half. I have never been a big fan of Wambach, but I don't believe she'd intentionally hurt a player. Luckily, we have it on tape so you can judge for yourself.


(The injury occurs at the 2min mark in the video)


Hope Solo Quote:
"I know Abby means well, I know she has a good heart and she would never want to see a player go down, but in the emotions of a game, it was right after the kickoff after they scored, there are too many emotions and she went in two-footed." - Washington Post

Abby Wambach Quote:
"She took a long touch so I charged and slid into it, slipped a little bit. She came in late, I came in late, I definitely think I deserved a yellow card, but I don't think it was malicious. I wasn't intending to try to take her out. I was going for the ball. That's not my game." -Washington Post

According to SoccerAmerica, the WPS disciplinary committee will consider whether action will be taken against Wambach.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Abby should be suspended for a couple games at least. In a moment of madness, she ended the season for one of the WPS best players. The league really need players like Daniela. What a shame. It was deliberate.

    ReplyDelete