Sunday, May 3, 2009

St. Louis - Close, But No Cigar

ST. LOUIS 3, WASHINGTON 3

I have to admit, I'm pretty upset over the outcome of tonight's Athletica/Freedom game. Don't get me wrong, it was an exciting match and I'm stoked that WPS has been lucky enough to have two great games air on back-to-back weeks. All around, league play has just been phenomenal. I'm really pleased.

However, here's why I'm bummed:

#1 - I predicted that Athletica was going to win and they didn't. I don't like to be wrong. Had they been playing someone other than Washington (aka the comeback kids), they would've had it in the bag!

#2 -Kia McNeill should have been ejected. I remember a game I played in high school. I was playing sweeper. An opponent caught me on my heels and flat out beat me. Embarrassed and frustrated I turned around, ran the player down, and knowing that I had no shot at the ball, I took her out from behind. It's been 10+ years and I still remember it like it was yesterday. I remember it because I knew it was dirty. It was a cheap shot on a girl who beat me fair and square. Kia McNeill is worse than that. She didn't even wait to get beat. Instead, she just took out players before they even got a chance to beat her. Not once, not twice, but three times. It was disappointing to watch. I love playing physical, but McNeill was displaying the traits of a NFL linebacker and though I may sound like a soccer mom with a 6-year old on the field, I was legitimately worried someone was going to get hurt.

# 3 - Hope Solo is NOT shaky. I may be biased because I do think she's the best keeper in women's soccer, but the recent criticism of her game has been a little harsh. And let's be fair, this is the first game most of us soccer fans actually got to see her play (since the Freedom has been hogging all the airtime...just kidding..kinda). Do I think it was Solo's best game? Not at all. But I've replayed tonight's goals a few thousand times and in the last 2 goals against, Athletica's defense (or lack there of) played a huge part in its downfall. The coverage on the 2nd goal was lax, at best. Sadly, I think it was Chalupa's mark that netted the goal. On the 3rd goal, Athletica's defense can be credited with the Freedom's assist. 'Nuff said.

#4 - If Daniela is seriously hurt (which I think she is), St. Louis can say goodbye to any chance at the title. Hey, I may be an Athletica fan, but I'm also a realist. (According to a post on the Washington Examiner, "Daniela lost consciousness at one point in the locker room due to the pain, leading to the appearance of a defibrillator, even though it apparently was not used. Daniela eventually was taken away from the facility in an ambulance for precautionary reasons.")

#5 - Kerri Hanks. Coming into this season I was expecting a superstar to step out on the field. I'm still waiting. I know you've got it in you!

Now for some positive notes on Athletica: YOU FINALLY SCORED!!! It would've been slighlty embarrassing to head into Week 7 scoreless. To top it off, those three goals pull Athletica ahead of Sky Blue in the standings! Hellllllo, 6th place! Also, I really saw something special out of defender Tina Ellertson - Straight up, she saved a goal solely with pure heart and hustle. Hope Solo let out the biggest sigh of relief after Ellertson saved her from a 1v1 situation in the first half -- So much so, that minutes later, Solo stated in her halftime interview, "Tina Ellertson inspires me. I am inspired by Tina Ellertson." (Haha it was so sincere, but it cracked me up because I think Solo was still in shock from Ellertson saving her butt.)

No comments:

Post a Comment