Sunday, April 19, 2009

Breakers Defeat Freedom 3-1

Yesterday, the Boston Breakers traveled to the Maryland SoccerPlex to take on Abby Wambach and the Washington Freedom. For the 2nd week in a row, the Breakers came out on top, defeating its opponent 3-1.

SCORING SUMMARY
1 56 Kelly Smith - PK (Boston)
2 60 Lori Lindsey (Washington)
3 76 Christine Latham (Boston)
4 81 Angela Hucles (Boston)

To read more about the game and for unofficial box scores, visit Women's Professional Soccer.

I've got to be honest, I think it's time for Freedom coach, Jim Gabarra, to make a change in goal. Not only did Scurry make an error last night fouling Boston's Angela Hucles (which led to one of the 3 goals), but she has let in 6 goals in 3 games, many of which she could have (should have) saved. This is unacceptable. Would it really hurt to put KJ or Erin McLeod in for a game? At this point, what do you have to lose? I respect Scurry for what she did in the past with the National Team, but she isn't carrying her weight in Washington. It's time for a new face in net.

The Breakers are back on the road next weekend to take on the Chicago Red Stars on Saturday, April 25. The Washington Freedom meanwhile travel to Santa Clara to face FC Gold Pride on Sunday, April 26 in a match that will be televised nationally on Fox Soccer Channel (6pm ET).

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I wish that Scurry had retired gracefully - a choice that was, I am sure, made much more difficult for her by Greg Ryan's bone-headed WWC move. I'm sure that she wants to go out on a high note - but it looks like that ain't gonna happen. It would be good for Gabarra to step in and put a stop to this.

    Question, though - is McLeod in the states now? Seems a no-brainer if she is. (I don't know anything about KJ.)

    PS Breakers would've won anyway ... ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Freedom officially signed McLeod last week, but Im not sure when she is available to play. I don't know much about Kati Jo Spisak, but at this point I don't think the Freedom have anything to lose.

    And I totally agree with your comments abt Scurry and Ryan! I've read articles that said she really had to think about whether or not she wanted to play in WPS. Like her,I would've played, hoping to finish up my career strong. She's doing her best but now the coach needs to do his job and make the tough call.

    ReplyDelete